Thursday, February 12, 2004

Don't Distract Me, I'm Blogging...

The power went out campus wide for about half the day. It was ironic considering the fact that this week was Wheaton's Missions Conference week. Speakers thoroughly addressed our society's unconscious idolatry of time (why do we check our watches when we are trying to figure out if we should eat? shouldn’t we just feel it out?) and our attachment to useless material items (that $250 painting on the wall? it’s just there so I can… look at it). It was only fitting that the entire student body be left to ponder these truths in the cover of darkness. The only power we had to occupy ourselves was that of our own head. I for one quite enjoyed it and so did many others I spoke with. It gave us time to get away from those horrible distractions we call ‘normal life’ and actually engage with each other in more personal fellowship. For me, it was a time I could quiet my soul. Campus felt a lot quieter.

Distractions, life is full of them. We get distracted by just about anything that is shiny, fast, or loud. I’ll be honest, I get distracted by my computer far too easily. In a dorm room of underclassmen, what crazy things that go on in the hall can be even more alarming. One questions, what is it exactly that we are getting distracted from? I suppose it has to do w/ your place in life. For students like me, most would say homework. Such a simple answer sheds light on a very simple concept. We like to get distracted from things we don’t want to deal with. Yea, that’s pretty simple eh?

Now one asks, why don’t we want to deal with them? Although numerous answers can be proposed and I certainly have my own opinion, I wonder what everyone else is thinking. Is it because what is to be dealt with is boring and no fun (homework)? Is it because dealing with it will hurt? Is it because we’re just lazy and we like staring at shiny, fast, loud things like TV’s and cars? Maybe it’s a combination of the above depending on the circumstance.

All I know is, I can certainly do with fewer distractions so I can deal with the things in life that are more worth dealing with. Things like my future, my friends, my family, my spirit.

I don’t think homework is worth dealing with. =) Distractions are welcome.

My current state of spirit: Peaceful. Realizing that the tough week before was but a time of wrestling with hard issues that deserved to be wrestled with. I have a better grip on them now, and hence I can live with myself a little more peacefully than before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home