Monday, April 05, 2004

Tag! You're It!!

When I was a kid I played a lot of tag. Freeze tag, flashlight tag, you name it. What was the principle foundation for all these different genres of tag? It was the idea that one person chased another. It’s really a very simple concept. I’m amazed at how easily we are amused as children.

There was always one thing I really disliked about tag. It was the fact that I was slow. When you are slow, it’s all over when you’re ‘it’. What may have been a fast paced game of intense competition usually transforms into frustrating drag. I sluggishly chased the others, panting of tiredness and frantically reaching out to maybe just touch the edge of someone else’s shirt. What a horrible situation to be in. I despised being ‘it.’ Occasionally there would be a boy or girl that showed me some grace. They would see me in my pathetic state and slowed themselves down just enough for me to pass on the curse of ‘it’. I’m thankful for those people. Otherwise my self-esteem would be even more greatly damaged and the games we played would certainly go no where.

Most of the time, we like to be chased. It’s more fun that way. It’s why most of us ecstatically shout ‘Not It!’ at the beginning of any game of tag. True, some people enjoy the chasing, but usually it is only because they thrive on having the ability to actually catch another. For many of us chasing can be the worse thing in the world, especially when we know we can’t catch anyone.

Namooa asked a well articulated question concerning my last entry: “why is it we are unable to reconcile with others when we try so very hard to?” I think it is because we are chasing them and they continually run away. Why would they run away? Simply put, it’s probably because they don’t want to reconcile. Why wouldn’t they? There are numerous reasons for that. I think one of the biggest reasons is because they’ve got uncomfortable issues they don't want to deal with. The reconciliation probably forces them to see it and to have to work it out. As mentioned in my NY entry, no one enjoys working out hard issues.

Reconciliation is two ways. Both must come together and apologize for their wrongs as well as work together to solidify the future. One can approach the other in complete love and get no where if the other is hardened to it. In those cases, I feel we must simply let it go, praying that one day they will respond. It doesn’t mean we continue to hold on to the grudge, it just means we must be patient.

The only other explanation for a lack of reconciliation is if we aren’t seeking it out at all. Sort of like the child who angrily declares ‘I’m not playing anymore’ without even the slightest hint of trying simply because they don’t like being ‘it.’ That’s another topic all together however. In the end, we are all ‘it’ and we all need to play the game.

For now, what we’ll have to consider is this: Who are we chasing after? Better yet, who’s chasing after us? Although we might never be able to catch those we are after, we can at the least show a little grace to those chasing us for reconciliation. Just slow down and let them tag you.

Current State of Spirit: Good Just got back from a communications conference in Cleveland, Ohio. It was busy, but just getting away can be restful in and of itself. As Easter approaches there is much to do, but I aim to let my soul rest on the important things and not the urgent ones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home