Death
Today I watched a good amount of the funeral ceremonies for former president Ronald Reagan on television. It was interesting to see so many of the world’s leaders gather together to pay their respects in the splendor of the National Cathedral. In a nation that is fast losing its emphasis on any type of faith, much more Christianity, it was startling to see genuine prayers lifted up and hymns being sung by the world’s most important people. I suppose the death of loved ones will always bring our souls back in touch with spiritual realities regardless of our political agendas. In fact, death has the power to change things more than most anything else on the planet.
When someone close to us passes, we are abruptly reminded how abrupt our lives can be. For the days that follow, everything slows down, priorities are reevaluated, and often reconciliation is made between people that have long given up hope. I find it ironic and awfully intriguing how death manages to bring healing as much as it does pain if dealt with correctly. As painful and horrible as death can seem, it can have a miraculous ability to bring people together.
And indeed, Reagan’s passing has left huge impacts on the state of America because he was so important to not only a few friends and family, but to the entire nation. This past week, the US has put itself into a slower and more reflective posture. In a place as bent on progress and speed as the United States, Reagan’s passing is most definitely a good thing. It is my prayer that our nation will use this opportunity to reevaluate this war on terror, this campaigning for presidency, this economic roller coaster, and the our place in the world in a way that can bring reconciliation between parties, and even nations.
More importantly, for each of us as individuals, let Reagan’s death be a reminder to us to honor those we love that have passed and to continue to value those that are still here. They may not be here tomorrow.
-To my uncle, Harrison Sheng: in this time I remember and honor you especially for the strong example of manhood you displayed to me in your brokenness and physical weakness.
-To all family, I love you all for your support and blessing toward me, I love you for all the shortcomings we share. May we continue to grow closer with the time we have.
-To all friends, I love you and thank you for traveling with me whether it has been for short seasons or long. Your presence is more important than you may ever know.
-To all those who have hurt me, I forgive honestly with no bitterness. If I feel unable to forgive you, I pray daily that God will strengthen me to do so.
-To all those who I’ve hurt, I am sorry, please let me know I’ve hurt you and allow me to apologize and reconcile with you.
I am personally too young to truly understand the significance of Reagan’s presidency. Thanks to my studies in school and the frantic media blitz in the past week, I certainly understand the facts and nature of what has come to be, but the weight of experience is still missing. So although I cannot fully understand Reagan and what he did, I honor him nonetheless along with the rest of America whole-heartedly.
Current state of spirit: Reflective. I only have a week here in Maryland before I go to China. This has been my shortest summer at home yet and coupled with Reagan’s passing; it has been a time where I am truly appreciative of what home has been even as it changes, even as I change.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home