Saturday, September 11, 2004

I had an Experience

When it comes right down to it, I really don’t know what I’m talking about.

I’m 21 years old and a senior in college. All that means is that I’m in the dugout looking in on the game, making academic observations. I’ve read through all the rules (even debated their use and importance) but I’ve had little chances at bat. I dream of that opportunity to catch the ball to secure the third out but more than anything else I’m afraid I’ll drop it.

Last weekend I made a trip down to the south side of Chicago with my best friends to visit one of their grandpas. He was one of those old men that knew the meaning of old-fashioned hospitality and down to earth living. He kept a vegetable garden in his backyard and served us some true to life soul food. In addition, he is also a man that carries his opinions and worldview in high regard. It wasn’t long before he would shoot off on a speech about how he perceived the country’s latest development, the government’s latest ploy, or the community’s latest needs.

As I sat there and respectfully listened, I couldn’t help but feel humbled by the perspective from which he spoke. He certainly wasn’t the most ‘academically educated’ man, but his words rang with a depth of belief and conviction that couldn’t be ignored. After all, he’s had 85 years of experience to back up everything that he’s said. Whether or not one agrees with some of his extreme views or finds his thought pattern illogical or ill felt, they couldn’t say that the man hasn’t been there in the midst of what he’s talking about.

Here’s to you Mr. Redfield, may your experiences be injected with a depth of Truth that will draw you closer to what it really means to be human and more importantly, to be redeemed.

I have a worldview too, one that has been developed and formed in the last 4-5 years of my life. Yes, I have my own share of experiences, but much of the way I see things can be perhaps idealized, or too cynical, or too clothed in the opinions of authors I’ve read and people I’ve learned from. Much of it probably isn’t even really mine… yet.

I had lunch with my ‘daughter’ today too. Sometime during the conversation we began to share stories of those family experiences we’ve heard so much about from our parents but have little in ourselves to relate to it. After all, we are a new generation living in a new country, a new time. Our grandparents and parents have experienced so much pain and joy in so many different ways, it makes me wonder if all my heady training will mean anything when the grittiness of day to day living really settle in. Together we realized how young we really were and in that moment I felt the immeasurable possibilities of what we both could experience in the 50-70 years ahead of us.

I am 21 years old and a senior in college. Since coming back from China, I have grown tired and even annoyed at the homogenous, academic, Christian environment that surrounds me. I don’t like being in the classroom regardless of how interesting the topic is. I’d rather be on the streets talking to the homosexual then discussing whether or not his existence is destroying the cultural fabric of family or whatever. I’d rather be in China living out what it means to do Christian Formation in an intercultural context then writing a big paper on it.

Yet there is a time and place for everything. College is its own experience and it certainly shouldn’t be discounted. It’s giving me a set of lenses to see the world in. I’ll be the one to decide whether they fit.

When it comes right down to it, I just really want to know what I’m talking about.

current state of spirit: readjusting Being back in school feels more different than it ever has before. I may be itching to get out into the world, but there are still plenty of important things to do here and now to get me to later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home