Saturday, December 04, 2004

Communication, Art, and the Desire for Revelation

"Art is not Communication," my cinema professor comments. There is this ongoing discussion taking place in class about what art and its purpose is. The conversation is leaving its mark on my soul. Lots of conversations have been doing that lately, this entry only refers to one piece of the whole.

What my professor means to say is, "Art is not created with the intention of sending message 1 from communicator A to communicator B."

I've always tried to develop myself as a strong and effective communicator. I want to send clear messages and be well understood. I am a communication major after all.

But art is more than communication, I should be more too.

There's the idea that "Art is Revelation," an arrow that points somewhere, anywhere. Maybe the artist doesn't even know what's coming to pass when they create, but the artist is expecting something to be revealed in their expression.

It is an attempt at revelation, to reveal something hidden. There is the idea that something needs to be known but not having a grasp on exactly what it is. So when the typical means of expression in words and everyday interaction fail to do justice to the whole of experience, art is on the verge of being born.

It is a last ditch effort to get something out there, to go somewhere, to live. It may not be communication, but it certainly creates conversation, a gateway to discover deeper things, truer things, life more abundant.

I wish to be more than just a communicator, but an artist. I want to be an artist of the Holy.

Current State of Spirit: There are no words to describe it, I desire to express.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home