Saturday, April 09, 2005

Last Moments

“…if I were called upon to state in a few words the essence of everything I was trying to say both as a novelist and a preacher, it would be something like this: Listen to your life. See it for the fathomless mystery that it is. In the boredom and pain of it no less than in the excitement and gladness: touch, taste, smell your way to the holy and hidden heart of it because in the last analysis all moments are key moments, and life itself is grace”

-Fredrick Buechner, Now and Then

I’ve done a lot of traveling in the past months, both physically and spiritually. Each wing of the journey carries with it both moments of everyday living and especially distinct experiences. Each is a tick off the timer counting down the last quarter of my college career. It can feel very frantic to know that in a few weeks I’ll be phasing out of this season into another still feeling very uncertain. I often find myself wondering about my future, not in a manner that imagines specific possibilities to questions like where I might live or what I might do, but instead simply sits with the question alone. If anything, God has written out my life, my story, with enough clues and to lead me toward a future that is anything but unpredictable. I need but listen, listen and wonder at what my life wishes to share.

Buechner shares that every moment is holy, grace filled, and if observed carefully points to the deeper things of life. This piece is meant to hopefully reveal that. My writing may not be particularly good, but it has served many times as the medium of expression that has led to revelation of the holy behind the ordinary. I think it is nothing short of amazing that a single event can be told in infinite ways, each exposing or accentuating a certain element, none revealing complete truth and yet none an absolute lie. What is more, writing helps me to remember. There are certain events in life that simply cannot afford to be forgotten regardless of how simple they might seem at the time. I have often had experiences where my soul desires to freeze a moment just because it knew that it needed to be remembered. In those moments I make a mental note to write, or if I’m lucky I’ll have a camera on hand I’ll snap a shot.

And now, I face but four weeks of college before I graduate into a different season of life. What are the moments that need to be remembered? What needs to be written down? What pictures need to be taken?

I think I'm freaking out a little, maybe a lot.

7 Comments:

At 4/10/2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

o easten...
*sigh
four weeks or so left. crazy isn't it? perhaps the most important things of this season has already been written down and remembered...imagine who u were freshman yr
continue writing, please?:-)i'm excited to find out how Jesus will find his glory in you chingoo...

 
At 4/12/2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe.. my how we're going through the same things.. as far as the freaking out part.. haha.. i'll tell you more later.. but yeah.. things i'm learning is that when Jesus comes.. we freak out.. hehe.. remember how most of the times in the bible.. when God comes.. He first has to say "Dont be afraid"... and yeah.. i dunno.. hahaha.. i've been learning that a lot.. and also that.. we cant let fear (an emotion that we never felt until after we fell away from God) get in the way of God's will..... hehehehe...just an encouragemen from a fellow brother.. hehe.. i'll email you soon about the praise thing in may.. still some specifics i gotta run through.. hehe.. see ya bro....

 
At 4/12/2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

remember your accomplishment for graduating and the fun you've had, both will stay with you for a long, long time and as and old time about to turn an ancient 38 next month, trust me when I tell you those memories will come in handy down the road!

 
At 4/20/2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Easten,
That's why I have my little notebook handy, always ready to write down thoughts so I won't forget to put into my journal.

 
At 5/01/2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just in case i don't get the chance to talk to you... happy birthday my friend. my god truly bless you abundantly. you have blessed so many people already. i am so gratetful for the many years i've gotten to know you. although we haven't really talked in awhile, my thoughts are still with you. i pray god will work many wonders through you as you go off to china to do his will. you're my brother in christ, and i love you.

 
At 5/10/2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

easten,
i just wanted to say, CONGRATS on graduating. friend, you got a lot in store. if i am ever in the D.C. area or where you are, i'll get in touch with you. and make sure if you're in hk, get in touch with me, aiight?

richardwu852@gmail.com

peace to you as you walk!!

Richard

 
At 5/10/2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry easten, one more comment...
i put up a video of the red army on the following link. however, i didn't realise it would be publicly posted on this community of grassroots-type video ppl --i thought it would be more privately stored. given that obviously i don't own the "rights" to the red army videos, i thought you should know. the video site is quite cool so i won't take it off unless you say so--perhaps y'all might be famous on the web...soon... :)

the website is "www.ourmedia.com" and the link is: http://www.archive.org/download/RichardWuTheRedArmyGUP2004/red_army_GUP_320.rm

(it's about 30 mb)

peace,
richard

 

Post a Comment

<< Home